[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Apr 19 13:21:11 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>

>> Don't illegal immigrants (I really hate that term) pay into the
>> system?
>>

> They sure do. Massey says that the pay more in taxes than they draw
> in benefits or services, but Marta doesn't want to believe that.

Massey cannot know that because illegals going to hospitals do not a;ways say they are illegals and hospitals do not track such information, therefore there is no way to know how much is spent on their healthcare. See:

“When patients come in the emergency department we do not know or ask if they are documented, we are obligated to deliver care regardless of their status. And as you know, some people do not admit to being illegally in the U.S.”

[Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Indigent Care Escalating; “Hospitals don't track illegal immigrant factor,” by Rick Badie, January 16, 2003]

Marta