[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 19 14:17:11 PDT 2006

The most recent data for California health expenditures <http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthExpendData/downloads/nhestatehealthaccountstables.pdf> was $126 billion in 2000. If that's increased in line with national expenditures, that was probably about $170 billion in 2004. So, $1.4 billion is 0.8% of the total. Big damn deal, eh?

>Noted medical lawyer Madeleine Cosman, J.D., Ph.D., wrote in her
>online journal on August 27, 2005, "Promoters of open borders and
>elevating the status of Illegal Aliens brilliantly use Americans'
>medical compassion against ourselves."

That's pretty funny. Are 46 million uninsured a result of all that compassion too?

> The medical literature reports that many undocumented immigrants
>sequester within their bodies infectious and fatal diseases that
>long ago were fought and eliminated by American medicine Now
>illegals may carry drug-resistant strains of tuberculosis, malaria,
>polio, leprosy, plague, dengue fever and Chagas disease.

Oooh, walking toxin containers they are. Who needs suicide bombers when we have biological warfare delivery systems on legs?

Doug