[lbo-talk] Why Eric Umansky doutbs Hersh on nukes

Stuart Elliott Stuart323 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 19 16:43:51 PDT 2006

A week ago Eric Umansky blogged "Why I don't trust Hersh's latest The Boston Phoenix Mark Jurkowitz calls for Sy Hersh to add some needed context to his big recent report that the White House is considering using tactical nukes against Teheran. I'll second that.

And might I add that I have little faith in Hersh's story to begin with. I don't know he's wrong, but I'm far from convinced he's right.

Why do I say that? Let's look at his sources. There are four, or perhaps only three, backing up his main contentions. Here is how Hersh introduces them:

a.. "A former senior intelligence official"

a.. "A senior Pentagon adviser on the war on terror"

a.. "One former defense official"

a.. "A former high-level Defense Department official" [Note: I'm listing this as a different source than the one above it, but Hersh doesn't clearly signal that they're different. For example, he could have written, "another former defense official"] So number of "current" officials cited: 1--if you count the "adviser."

The "Pentagon adviser," I suspect, is a member of the Defense Science Board, members of whom are also cited in the story. The DSB are civilians who work part-time advising the SecDef. They are not involved in nuts-and-bolts planning.

http://www.ericumansky.com/2006/04/a_skeptical_rea.html