[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on immigration

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 10:11:49 PDT 2006

Mike wrote: "I think it's in the interests of potential undocumented proletarians to get documented to come to the U.S. to work because that lowers the fear factor in terms of organizing unions and getting better wages and working conditions for our class as a whole. I've also pointed out that the way the undocumented immigrants get to the land of the brie and the home of the wage-slave is fraught with risks to life and limb."

Employer sanctions don't get undocumented immigrants documented. Legalization of the currently undocumented already here and granting of work authorization to all who want does.

Also, if your main goal is to get workers documented, why not argue that unions be given the right to sponsor immigrants for permanent residency? Currently, spouses, parents, etc. can sponsor immigrants for permanent residency for family unification purposes, and bosses can also sponsor immigrants for employment purposes. Unions ought to have the right to sponsor immigrants for organizing purposes.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>