Illigal immigration to Russia, was: Re: [lbo-talk] Russians don't like immigration

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 07:00:51 PDT 2006

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > The U.S. isn't on top within the OECD (though of
> > course these numbers
> > are probably exclude the undoc'd - but I'm
> guessing
> > the relative
> > rankings are approximately right). What's Russia's
> > share?
>
> According to a recent UN report, Russia is no. 2,
> just
> beating Germany. I have a very detailed breakdown
> that
> was just published in one of the Russian glossies at
> home. (I don't remember which one, so I'm having
> problems finding it on the internet.)

I below translate the relevant passage from the following article published in Kommersant-Vlast' in March: http://www.kommersant.ru/k-vlast/get_page.asp?page_id=20061219-6.htm . I couldn't find the UN report, so I asked some people on Peter's Russia list about it and hopefully they'll send me a link. I erred slightly -- the UN report refers to number of ILLEGAL immigrants, not immigrants per se.

How Migrants Live in Russia

(From article by Viktor Khamraev in Kommersant-Vlast, "Let Them Settle," March 27 2006)

At the end of 2005 -- beginning of 2006, the International Labor Organization (ILO) published a number of reports in which the position of migrants working in Russia were examined.

According to official data, 460 thousand foreigners workers were occuped in Russia in 2004. At present [according to these dats] Russia lags behind the majority of developed countries in terms of share of migrants in the general number of employed: thus, if in Switzerland this percentage is 18%, in Austria 10%, in Germany 9%, and in Luxemburg 57%, in Russia it is less than 0.5%. However, the ILO experts are persuaded that the official statistics do not reflect the real state of affairs, as 80-90% of migrants are employed in the informal sector. According to the ILO estimates, the general volume of illegal immigration in Russia is around 5 million people -- primarily from the CIS countries and Southeat Asia.

The reasons inspiring migrants to move to Russia to work are obvious: poor salaries in the home country (76% of migrants indicated this factor among the main reasons), absence of good jobs (48%), everyday ??? (CD -- don't know this word) and problems with housing (28%), personal problems and poor living conditions for the family (17%), interethnic conflicts (10%), and the absence of perspectives in the home country (31%). At the same time, despite the widespread [contrary] opinion, the ILO experts indicate that the majority of migrants were not marginalized or outsiders in their home country: on average 18% have higher or incomplete higher education and around 40% middle specialized education. More than half of migrants had had either long-term (31%) or temporary (22%) jobs in their home country. The general level of education of migrants from Tajikistan, for instance, is higher than the Tajik average.

More than half of migrants sent part of their money earned in Russia back to their home country. On average, this is around $100 per month. Citizens of Ajerbaijan send home an average of $133 per month, Ukrainians $130, Moldovans $110, Georgians $86, Uzbeks $52, and Tajiks $51.

That majority of labor migrants are employed in the informal or shadow sector of the economy of Russia makes them east prey for criminals engaged in human trafficking (article 127 p. 1 of the Law of the RF) or slave labor (article 127 p. 2 of the Law of the RF). However, according to the ILO data, in Russia in 2004 only 18 cases were opened based on article 127 p. 1, and only four went to court; based on article 127 p. 2, eight cases were opened, resulting in three sentences. All the cases opened based on

> [...]

More than half of migrants sent part of their money earned in Russia back to their home country. On average, this is around $100 per month. Citizens of Ajerbaijan send home an average of $133 per month, Ukrainians $130, Moldovans $110, Georgians $86, Uzbeks $52, and Tajiks $51.

That majority of labor migrants are employed in the informal or shadow sector of the economy of Russia makes them east prey for criminals engaged in human trafficking (article 127 p. 1 of the Law of the RF) or slave labor (article 127 p. 2 of the Law of the RF). However, according to the ILO data, in Russia in 2004 only 18 cases were opened based on article 127 p. 1, and only four went to court; based on article 127 p. 2, eight cases were opened, resulting in three sentences. All cases opened based on article 127 p. 1 concerned facts of sexual exploitation aimed at taking the victims out of Russia or transporting them from one region of the country to another. They have changed practically nothing relating to the transport of people into Russia from other countries. Not one case has been opened based on article 127 p. 2 connected with the exploitation of slave labor.

The ILO experts remark on the weakness of the legal base in Russia concerning illegal migration and the difficulties in carrying out correct practice. The report notes that migration is developing today in an extrenely irrational way. The stricter the barriers to migration, the more often migrants wind up in the situation of being illegals, for whom there are workplaces in the country receiving them, but no guarantees of decent labor or the observation of basic human right.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!