[lbo-talk] Classless society [was: Dean Baker on immigration

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 08:49:58 PDT 2006

>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>
>To wrap it up, I argued - and still stand by it - that divisions into
>distinct groups of unequal status and power are endemic to human societies,
>and hoping to eradicate these divisions and inequalities is unrealistic,
>utopian and naïve.

Hoping to eradicate these divisions and inequalities may be unrealistic, utopian and naïve, but I would say it is also necessary. My premise is that offered by the philosopher Peggy Lee: "Is that all there is?" Is that all there is to human advancement: capitalism? Are we stuck with a world where some people work for peanuts at the caprice of plutocrats while others get paid $500 million to tell fart jokes on the radio?

Carl