[lbo-talk] Classless society [was: Dean Baker on immigration

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 10:17:28 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>>>
>>>... hoping to eradicate these divisions and inequalities is unrealistic,
>>>utopian and naïve.
>>
>>Hoping to eradicate these divisions and inequalities may be unrealistic,
>>utopian and naïve, but I would say it is also necessary. My premise is
>>that offered by the philosopher Peggy Lee: "Is that all there is?"
>
>It might be impossible to "eradicate" class divisions, but we sure could
>reduce them. Lively unions, civilized welfare states, and quality public
>education would take us pretty far down that road.

Yes, but right now we're just standing by the road like the characters in "Waiting for Godot" -- what we're waiting for in this state of capitalist statis is anyone's guess. In college I remember some professor solemnly informing me that what was logically wrong with proposed utopias was the stagnancy of the societies envisioned. But that rap seems to me especially applicable to capitalism itself, whose supposed mutability and dynamism are basically illusory. IMO, capitalism is mere glorified entropy, a way of enshrining social relationships that are instrinsically primitive and unfair.

I think humankind has both a moral and an intellectual obligation to try to evolve beyond capitalism. How tedious to imagine an endless future like the present.

Carl