[lbo-talk] Chomsky interviewed by Ali G - wow

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 08:53:23 PDT 2006

This is really irrelevant stuff. To follow the logic of this criticism is to say that I shouldn't have a 401k plan because politically I believe it is a way that employers collectively have hoodwinked employees into buying into the system. Or perhaps I should live like St. Francis?

I think of all of the right wing nuts who blamed Marx for living in poverty and thus not allowing his wife and children to rise into the middle class. If Chomsky had give away all of his money he would be blamed for that also.

But not only is the article irrelevant it is also badly researched. Chomsky makes money giving speeches but most of that money is paid by institutions and then donated to grass roots organizations. Most often he schedules linguistic lectures, where he gets paid professionally, to coincide with political lectures where he doesn't get paid, thus allowing his professional life subsidize his activist life. Which is exactly what we should all be doing!

Jerry