[lbo-talk] Classless society [was: Dean Baker on immigration

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 07:58:40 PDT 2006

Wojtek wrote:

>Carl:
>> I think humankind has both a moral and an
>> intellectual obligation to
>> try to evolve beyond capitalism. How tedious to
>> imagine an endless
>> future like the present.
>

> Ditto. But far worse is imagining future as glorious
> past.

If U.S. workers are ever to unite and form as as class for itself, the impetus will probably come more from a vision of their collective future than from a sense of their history. I understand the two things are (will be?) intertwined in the process of formation of a collective consciousness, but the motive factor is more likely to be the expectations or promise of an attainable future rather than a recognition of the past. My impression FWIW.

Julio