[lbo-talk] seeing things as a man

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 15:06:59 PDT 2006

I'm still wondering if anyone here's read Norah Vincent Neale's Self-Made Man, a journalist's undercover life as a man for about 18 months that resulted in her going to a mental hospital and psychotherapy, towards the end, due to the emotional and personality crises the experience caused. The book came out within the last few months.

Not sure what the gist of her take on the experience was.

-B.

-----

Doug Henwood wrote:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/14413411.htm>http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/14413411.htm

She took the testosterone road to manhood

An author's female-to-male transformation has turned out to be more than just sexual.

By Faye Flam

What makes a man a man? How much of our sex differences are cultural, how much hard-wired biology? Who better to ask than Max Wolf Valerio - a 49-year-old man who was once a woman?