[lbo-talk] Minutemen to build their own Berlin Wall

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 24 22:18:08 PDT 2006

Minutemen plan to build 300-mile fence along US/Mexico border

April 21, 2006 08:03 AM PDT

David Marino KVOA -TUCSON

Members of the Minuteman Project say if the government won't build a fence on the border, they will.

Minuteman president Chris Simcox says they're in the planning stages of constructing a border fence.

"It's a double-layered fence with a road in between, with also a trench that will be dug facing the Mexican border so that vehicles cannot drive across and drive through the fence."

Six private property owners living along the border are allowing the Minutemen to construct the barrier on their property.

Two construction companies are also donating the use of construction equipment and coordinating volunteer construction crews.

The fence will cost between ten and twelve million dollars to complete.

"If a million people send $10 each, that's enough to build about 300 miles of fencing under the plan that we've devised," Simcox says.

He says this is only the beginning.

"When we finish building fences on private property, if necessary, we'll begin building it on government and state land," Simcox says.

Cochise County ranchers like Roger Barnett are supporting the minutemen.

Barnett says, "I think it's a great idea. Our government has been sitting back and doing nothing."

Simcox would not identify the ranchers involved in the border fence project. He says they live in Cochise County and Yuma.

The Minutemen plan to break ground on the border fence over Memorial Day weekend.

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4799466&nav=menu216_2