[lbo-talk] Nukes vs. Renewables

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:41:05 PDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> This Emeritus Professor John Veevers (below) makes good sense to me and touches
> on a non-carbon based power source which may have application on other parts of
> the planet.

Hi Mike. Yes that is geothermal. Unless the resources are much greater than the geothermal industry estimates, for most of the world this wil remain a small resource. Not that it is not worth taking advantage of; every little bit helps. Australia is not the only country with large geothermal resources. Iceland is well supplied too.

The U.S. could I think get about 1/2 percent of demand from known economic geothermal reserves - but that is from memory and I could be overstating.