[lbo-talk] LA vs. NY

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 26 12:45:40 PDT 2006

I just sent this letter to the Los Angeles Times editor. There was a front page story today about this ridiculous roving club where members pay a $1,000 a month to go to after hours parties in changing locations. The parties are attended by a bunch of other 20 something mortgage bankers and the like who can pay the membership fee,a smattering of celebs, and others "on the list." The guy who runs it was stupid enough to compare it to the Factory. I've never had a letter published before, but I think "flapdoodle" might help this one get in:

>So Rob Perry likes to compare Xenii to Warhol’s
>Factory? Hilarious. Not only was the Factory
>not a club (it was Warhol’s studio), but there
>was no door policy. Free entry for debutantes
>and drag queens, celebrities and hustlers–
>that’s what made the place what it was. Even
>making the comparison is embarrassing. Xenii is
>the kind of thing we have to live down when
>trying to convince people that there is more to
>Los Angeles than this kind of flapdoodle.
>

>Dennis Claxton

here's a link to the story:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-party26apr26,1,7431170.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage