[lbo-talk] Nepal and Venezuela: the Military Angle

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:17:15 PDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Of course, it would be better if one had so many loyal comrades in the
> > existing military that, with only a few purges, the military itself
> > would become the bulwark of revolution, as in Venezuela.
>
> Yoshie,
>
> I am not sure that you've thought this statement through to any great
> extent. If anything it is a sign of the weakness of a "revolution" that it
> has to rely on the officer corp of the old regime.

Officers and soldiers are after all people. If many of them are enthusiastic about the revolution (or at least patriotic enough not to conspire with imperialists to overthrow the revolutionary government), for one reason or another, so much the better. It would be a huge problem if they weren't: the 2002 coup could have succeeded, there might have been more than one coup, they might have started something like the Contras, etc.

In any transition that involves radical social change (that goes beyond a mere switch from one political party to another), it seems to me that the military is a key institution to consider, though leftists generally give little thought to this question.

Well, I suppose it's not just leftists who don't think often about this. Washington invaded Iraq, and it thought it could just disband the existing Iraqi Army and then still manage the occupation!

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>