[lbo-talk] Re: ramones fan -- OFFLIST !!!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 02:30:44 PDT 2006

Michael,

Well, fuck, I did it again -- responded on-list to something you sent me off-list.

I guess unless it says "OFFLIST" in the subject I have a tendency to screw up like that. Looks like it pissed off Chuck0. Hah! =)

Oh, and the guy you mention below, the son of the abortion clinician -- I heard an interview with him on Terry Gross's "Fresh Air" on NPR. Was very interesting.

-B.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6789/1227/1600/capt.la12203280014.immigration_rallies_la122.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805077316/sr=8-1/qid=1146036737/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6320951-6594323?%5Fencoding=UTF8
> Absolute Convictions : My Father, a City, and the
Conflict that Divided America
> >From Publishers Weekly
> Starred Review. In this inside look at a
battleground of the abortion
> debate—Buffalo, N.Y.—the son of an abortion provider
examines both
> sides of the culture clash that envelops his Israeli
father's life.
> Drawing comparisons with the religious
fundamentalism of his father's
> homeland, Press takes the reader on a brisk,
compelling tour of a city
> that saw both Operation Rescue's massive "Spring of
Life" protests in
> 1992 and the 1998 murder of abortion provider
Barnett Slepian. Both
> events swirled around the lives of Press's defiant
father, Shalom, who
> "at the core of his identity" couldn't "back down in
the face of a
> threat," and his mother, Carla, a Holocaust survivor
who endured
> comparisons of abortion clinics to Nazi death camps.
Part memoir and
> part reportage, Press's book provides a piercing
look at local leaders
> of both camps and follows the dramatic arrest,
confession and
> sentencing of Slepian's killer, James Kopp. While
more insight into
> his father's experience would have enhanced the
story, Press's
> incisive account of an immigrant family at the
center of an American