[lbo-talk] Mao, management guru

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:52:55 PDT 2006

On 4/27/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Ross is going to be on my radio show tonight talking about his
> > new book, Fast Boat to China, the product of the year he spent living
> > in Shanghai, investigating the conditions in the IT industry there.
> > I'm just editing the interview now, which was recorded yesterday. A
> > little gem: the Chinese government has put together a two-volume
> > selection of Mao's writings for business execs, offering them
> > management tips.
>
> If you know how, first, to abstract, and secondly how to reconcretize as
> it were in radically different conditions, Mao's works are indeed a
> treasurehouse of tips for almost any activity that involves building
> collective activity. :-) Remember that the Marine slogan, Gung Ho,
> emerged from a Marine officer's brief experience visiting the Red Army.
> (I never have looked up the details of this, just how the contact
> occurred, and how it got reshaped and applied to a Marine division in WW
> 2.)
>
> Carrol

True, but reading Doug's posting awakened my inner entrepreneur again: if I had startup capital, I'd manufacture Little Red Fortune Cookies, stamped with Mao's face, stuffed with Mao's sayings, marketed to chic cafes and restaurants in NYC.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>