[lbo-talk] another brick in that neolib wall

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 28 09:43:28 PDT 2006

Dennis Claxton wrote:

>>Which is why Tony Soprano is the hero of our time.
>>
>>Joanna
>

>I don't think it's the way Tony makes a living that enthralls
>people. That's been done a million times. I think it's the way he
>makes a living combined with his seeing a psychiatrist. Now he's
>even recommending his doctor to a friend. Like Tony told Carmela
>"cunnilingus and psychiatry have brought us to this."

But he's not really a hero. One of the things that makes the show so great is how you love and hate Tony at the same time, or almost at the same time. He's evil and ordinary, charming and horrifying, sexy and repulsive. Ditto to a lesser degree the minor characters. That's not your usual one-dimensional TV.

Doug