[lbo-talk] another brick in that neolib wall

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Apr 28 12:13:38 PDT 2006

At 02:16 PM 4/28/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>I've had some vicious thoughts in my life, but never, not once, not even
>>as a first impulse, have I ever, in childhood or as an adult, even
>>remotely wished that anyone would be fired. And I would bet that there
>>are at least 50 to 150 million who could say the same thing. Try again.
>
>Maybe that's why you're so depressed! Let these hostile thoughts rip! To
>quote Dr Melfi again, "depression is anger turned inwards."

heh. And it doesn't matter, it was just an example of someone having horrible thoughts. Whatever the vicious thought you had Carrol, just substitute that/those. People can identify since they are approximating experiences.

I'm uncertain as to what you accomplish carrol by trying to insist that others must somehow be horrid people for having such thoughts. obviously plenty of people do have such thoughts since they _do_ try to get others canned on a regular basis by, among things, reporting them to their supervisors and right on up through hijinks on the job intended to see to it that others are fired or into a position where they feel forced to quite, either b/c they've been set up as a mark or because their lives have been made so miserable they can't stand another day on the job. I'd hazard a guess that at least one big budget film a year carries a plot line that references such events. IOW, plenty of people have fantasies about seeing other people lose their jobs.

But again: the more important question was, did you gain anything by suggesting some fantasies might be offlimits -- in the same way some people here might gasp if they learned I'm a sex worker or that I drive a Cadillac SUV.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org