[lbo-talk] "Save Darfur": Evangelicals and Official "Jewish Leaders"

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Apr 28 12:55:33 PDT 2006

At around 28/4/06 2:38 pm, ravi wrote:
> At around 28/4/06 1:54 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> Steven L. Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> Funny, how Americans, both liberal AND Conservative, always seem to
>>> believe military force is the solution to a crisis.
>
>> It seems like liberals are always looking for a military operation
>> the can get behind. If not Iraq, then Iran; if not Iran, then Darfur.
>> They're desperate to be seen as not-wimps.

Doug,

you used to be uneasy about knee-jerk anti-USism (the argument above is an extension of that emotion, unless you are an out and out pacifist, which I do not believe you are)!

Where do you guys get "always believe military force is the solution"? Take the case of genocide, either caused by those in power or through rivalry between two groups. Rwanda. Sudan. It is clear why anyone might think military action is a possible solution: there are violent men roaming around killing people and they need to be stopped. One way to stop them is to use force to contain or repel them. Military action is a disciplined, coordinated and well understood use of such force.

What is the alternative? There probably are good ones, but (a) that alone does not support incredulity at the suggestion of military action, (b) we need to hear them, or some other legitimate criticism of military action has to be offered.

Thoughts?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/