[lbo-talk] "Save Darfur": Evangelicals and Official "Jewish Leaders"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Apr 28 14:14:53 PDT 2006

Doug:

-----Original Message-----

Pentagon should be recruited to "save Darfur." For Americans, our prime responsibility is to stop the abuse of Iraq, and everything else should take a back seat to that for now.

[WS:] This statement troubles me a lot, to the point that I am willing to risk censure for overposting to answer it. As I read it, it advocates abstaining from any action in Darfur before cleaning up the US-created mess in Iraq. Stated differently, it advocates sticking up to a moral principle even at the cost of preventing a genocide and saving lives (provided that situation in Darfur can be termed as such).

That troubles me a lot. What if we applied the same to WW2 and said that the US should first cleanup its act in South America before fighting the Nazis? I guess those being sent to concentration camps would take exception, no?

Wojtek