[lbo-talk] Re: "Save Darfur" etc (and other responses)

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 17:11:50 PDT 2006

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cry havoc and let loose the precisely targeted air
> surface missiles of war. This would most likely
> stop
> the brutal mass slaughter you describe - at least,
> for
> a while - and that's an unarguably good and urgently
> vital thing.
>

> But I wonder, what else will it do?

I do not disagree with the above. Under this leadership, anything bad can happen. But there were also better times, like WW2 or Suez or even Haiti (judging from the right wing opposition to this intervention.) The point that I am making is not that the USAF should let the hell loose to stop genocide (which is absurd), but that the US can and did play positive roles by both military and non-military means.

Another point is that whatever we may say about the US leadership (nothing good, I suppose), the US military is much less likely to engage in rampages that we saw in ex-Yugoslavia, Liberia, or Rwanda. I also read a report about infernal deeds of the Russian forces in Chechnya against which Abu Gharib looks like horseplay (despite of which I am still inclined to support the Russian side of this conflict, however).

Wojtek