[lbo-talk] another brick in that neolib wall

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 04:57:39 PDT 2006

On 4/30/06, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> I understand that visceral reaction; however, to stand in for our
> inexplicably AWOL legal eagle Justin ("andie n."), I have to say I'm a
> little distressed at the casual disregard for the rule of law here.
> --Just as you feel justified if a Mafia guy clips a rapist, an
> anti-abortion nut is going to feel justified if the Mafia guy clips an
> abortion doctor. Are you sure you wanna go there? Or are you reserving
> the right to ignore the rule of law for people who are disgusted by the
> same things you are?

I think John Thornton capably pointed out the flaw in this analogy, and as someone else noted, this is a TV show we've been talking about.

All that said, however, I live in a country which has something of a tradition of, erm, extrajudiciality in certain communities and the consequences of this have not always been entirely negative. It's widely acknowledged, for example, that the low rate of ordinary crime,

including drugs-related crime in working-class Catholic parts of Belfast has been largely due to the policing role the IRA have traditionally played in those neighbourhoods (the winding down of IRA activity due to the peace process has unsurprisingly been accompanied by an increase in crime). Vigilantism played a fairly significant role in the anti-drugs movement in 1990s Dublin which did ultimately force the Government, who had long neglected the problem, into action.

In the most strongly affected areas, residents still speak with pride about "the community"'s role in this campaign. There is an excellent book about this called "Pushers Out!" by Andre Lyder.

Of course, all this happened because of what was missing in those communities - a state police force viewed as legitimate (in Belfast) or doing its job properly (in Dublin) - and of course it would have been better for all concerned if those vacuums didn't exist in the first place. But given the fact that they did exist, and to a large extent still do, is it better that they are filled by something or that they are filled by nothing? In my experience, and I would be pretty familiar with these communities, most of the people who have to live with the consequences would say the former.

Again (because I have a feeling this is going to be misinterpreted) I am NOT saying "yay for vigilantism" - just that where it exists, it isn't much use trying to counter it with lofty statements about "disregard for the rule of law" - which would pretty much get you laughed out of council estates in West Belfast or Dublin's North Inner City. It has to be addressed by a FULL and HONEST appraisal, taking into account the realistic and probable alternatives and not just the alternatives that exist in an ideal world.