[lbo-talk] The Sopranos vs. Spiderman another brick in that neolib wall

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 09:37:58 PDT 2006

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >the age of "Save Darfur" rallies
>
> Interesting article in the NYT today. This line -
> "Rabbi Dubinsky and other Jews deny that their
> interest in Darfur is motivated by anti-Arab
> sentiment" - reminds me of Claud Cockburn's
> commandment: Never believe anything until it's
> officially denied.
>
> Doug

The conflict in Sudan, which pits Islamists (the Justice and Equality Movement <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_and_Equality_Movement>) against Islamists (the government), is the last conflict in which Jews would want to get involved, the least of all side by side with evangelical Christians, imho. But the conflict has been transformed into a fantasy of bad "Arabs" vs. good "Africans." . . .

Sudan melds African and Arab identities. As Arabs began to dominate the government in the past century and gave jobs to members of Arab tribes, being Arab became a political advantage; some tribes adopted that label regardless of their ethnic affiliation. More recently, rebels have described themselves as Africans fighting an Arab government. Ethnic slurs used by both sides in recent atrocities have riven communities that once lived together and intermarried.

"Black Americans who come to Darfur always say, 'So where are the Arabs? Why do all these people look black?' " said Mahjoub Mohamed Saleh, editor of Sudan's independent Al-Ayam newspaper. "The bottom line is that tribes have intermarried forever in Darfur. Men even have one so-called Arab wife and one so-called African. Tribes started labeling themselves this way several decades ago for political reasons. Who knows what the real bloodlines are in Darfur?" (Emily Wax, "5 Truths about Darfur," Washington Post, 23 April 2006, p. B03, <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/21/AR2006042101752.html>)</blockquote>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>