[lbo-talk] another brick in that neolib wall

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 13:00:49 PDT 2006

On 4/30/06, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> There is no flaw in the analogy: in each case, the person claims a
> right to disregard the law on the basis of their own beliefs.
> I agree that there are contexts in which principled rejection of the
> rule of existing laws is necessary and justifiable.

The analogy is flawed and you've made the same error in your second paragraph. None of what we've been discussing concerns beliefs or principles. These are cases where the law has been violated, and those whose responsibility it is to punish lawbreakers can't or won't do it, so others take this responsibility into their own hands. You're portraying it as some attempt at civil disobedience, when in fact it is an attempt (however misguided) as restoring order in the community.