[lbo-talk] An Economics Question: Pizza Slices and Subway Fares

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 13:00:54 PDT 2006

A question I've been meaning to ask for more than 20 years.

Has anyone else noticed that the price of a pizza slice in New York tracks the price of a single subway fare? This has been so ever since I came to New York in the early 1980s. Sometimes the subway fare goes up first and sometimes the Pizza Slice (neapolitan, single slice, without extra-topping) goes up first. But it is consistent. When I first came to NYC subways cost 50 cents and so did a single slice of pizza. Then subways went up to 75 cents. Pizza slices hovered there for a bit but soon went up to a dollar. Only later did subway fares follow.

I could talk about the economics of pizza some more, since my grandfather owned a pizza place and an Italian restaurant and my memories of such things goes back a long time. But this specific phenomena rather amuses me.

-- Jerry Monaco's Philosophy, Politics, Culture Weblog is Shandean Postscripts to Politics, Philosophy, and Culture http://monacojerry.livejournal.com/

His fiction, poetry, weblog is Hopeful Monsters: Fiction, Poetry, Memories http://www.livejournal.com/users/jerrymonaco/

Notes, Quotes, Images - From some of my reading and browsing http://www.livejournal.com/community/jerry_quotes/ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060430/9d80a56d/attachment.htm>