[lbo-talk] Villaraigosa: football trumps human rights

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 30 17:29:22 PDT 2006

Good one!

I attended UCLA during John Wooden's days -- Marquis Johnson and Bill Walton were playing when I was an undergrad. In fact, Bill was in my Philosophy of History class. All seven feet of him could actually squeeze into one of those chair-cum-desk contraptions. I did go to a couple of games, but you know it was like cheering for the guards at Dachau. The first stringers would get ahead of the rival team by about thirty points. Then, in the last ten minutes, Wooden would let some of the second stringers play, at which point the lead would narrow to 20 pointes.

Then everybody went home.

Rah. rah.

Joanna