[lbo-talk] 300,000 demonstrators, stretching to 10 blocks, in NYC

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Apr 30 20:31:07 PDT 2006

At this point I'm tempted to start up a volunteer network of people who will use various methods to count crowd sizes at large protests.

Chuck

------------

At this point, it seems to me much more important to construct a left narrative that gives solidarity to the immigrant marches, and helps to link up immigrant identity with concrete and radical overhauls of labor relations. Viva la raza only goes so far.

Jerry Monaco gave me a moderate amount of shit for dismissing the great white masses. Fair enough. I think they are dead meat, and nothing will revive them.

But the economic and discriminatory crush of the USG and its corporate elite on Mexican Americans and their undocumented cousins is an all together different equation. We (mostly white lefties) keep whining about the lack of solidarity with the working class. Well, here is a working class movement, par excellance. Except, it is clothed in an immigrant identity movement.

Now is certainly the time to `see' this national working class movement in Marxist terms of labor, capital, neoliberalism, globalization and to see it as a potentially radical force. Latin America is ripe with sources for a radicalization of the US bound Latino.

Somebody who lives in both worlds has to put this together and give these marchers the voice to link all this together---so as to scare the living shit out of the US government.

Just imagine the dismay of the great anglo fathers Bush, Frist, and Hastard when they finally see there are millions of radical hispanics chanting Marxist slogans, waving red flags, black flags, red white and green flags, red white and blue flags, and burning the midnight oil rediscovering their radical history.

For LA I have an ideal target in mind. Pershing Square. Indian killer, border patrol counter-revolutionary terrorist, killer of Philippine independence, child murder, father raper, mother hater, General Pershing. Take him down hombres.

Apre la puerta!

CG

ps. Evidently my grand kids (Emily 2, Ethan 3mons) are on strike---shut it down. Although, Ethan's whimpers for milk didn't sound very resolute on the phone tonight. Also I had to explain to my daughter-in-law why May 1st was Labor Day in Mexico---legacy of a failed Marxist revolution...