[lbo-talk] Re: "Save Darfur" etc (and other responses)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 22:45:18 PDT 2006

> Why the attention to Darfur, to the exclusion of other things, do you think?
>
> Doug

....Because the US has particular strategic interests the Sudan - i.e. regime change. Ethiopia and Uganda are both US client states so the US has no need to mobilize do-gooders to make lots of noise about the genocide against the Acholi in Northern Uganda - unlike the Darfurians, their suffering is of no moment to anyone of consequence in the West - Uganda itself has no strategic resources but has been the main platform for American interests in Central Africa - especially the Congo and Southern Sudan. The whole Save Darfur business is an orgy of hypocrisy and misinformation. There is no question that there is a humanitarian crisis there, but why is it a crisis that 'must be addressed' after only three years, while the people in Nothern Uganda have been suffering for two decades? This article below is two years old, but it is still correct about the real underlying politics.

US 'hyping' Darfur genocide fears

Peter Beaumont Sunday October 3, 2004 The Observer

American warnings that Darfur is heading for an apocalyptic humanitarian catastrophe have been widely exaggerated by administration officials, it is alleged by international aid workers in Sudan. Washington's desire for a regime change in Khartoum has biased their reports, it is claimed.

(snip)

While none of the aid workers and officials interviewed by The Observer denied there was a crisis in Darfur - or that killings, rape and a large-scale displacement of population had taken place - many were puzzled that it had become the focus of such hyperbolic warnings when there were crises of similar magnitude in both northern Uganda and eastern Congo.

Concern about USAID's role as an honest broker in Darfur have been mounting for months, with diplomats as well as aid workers puzzled over its pronouncements and one European diplomat accusing it of 'plucking figures from the air'.

Under the Bush administration, the work of USAID has become increasingly politicised. But over Sudan, in particular, two of its most senior officials have long held strong personal views. Both Natsios, a former vice-president of the Christian charity World Vision, and Winter have long been hostile to the Sudanese government.