[lbo-talk] academic labor geeks etc.

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 14:15:53 PDT 2006

On 8/1/06, mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>* wrote:
> I agree with this. During the antiwar demos a few years back, peace
> activists here in CT bent over backwards to recruit minorities and the poor
> to the cause, to no avail. It wasn't for lack of trying. "The people"
> aren't leftist.

Oh Mike, I don't want to be harsh, but this is so silly.

"The people" aren't anything except what ever "the people," including you and me, make ourselves out to be. You didn't recruit "minoirities" to the antiwar orgs. So what does that prove? In general minorities seem to be more anti war and more left wing than white males yet they can't be "recruited".

Do you think there might be something wrong with the fact that "we" just are segregated from "them" and it carries over to other aspects of our political lives?

Not long back I went to a screening of "Sir, No Sir" in the basement of a church in Woodside Queens. It was given by two peace groups in Queens. The church was a church that catered mostly to minorities. I would bet that most of those minorities were anti-war. The half hour before the film was shown there was a church service. Did I go and try to talk to the people who came out of the church? Judging by the way they talked they were all from Central America or southern Mexico, areas of the world I know well. Yet I didn't have the guts to even talk to them and neither did anyone else around. It takes guts, and the willingness to embarrass yourself and push, but none of us did it. So there we were at an anti-war meeting in a "minority" church in Queens, and practically all of us were "white". Whose fault was that? I don't know. Mine probably.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060801/7962e333/attachment.htm>