[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 32, Issue 8

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 1 16:02:00 PDT 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 6:52 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> I agree that bit right there is the most dubious of what I'm
> throwing out- I'd be more interested in what you think of the
> general thrust of that argument (that people should go where and do
> what leftists don't do much of yet).

Long ago, a gang from Berkeley moved to Detroit to form Labor Notes and TDU. They've done some great work but it's been a long, hard slog, and industry moved from Detroit to elsewhere.

Lots of SWP members tried working in factories and organizing the working class. I think their success has been highly limited.

But Marvin Gandall asks a good question - tell us how you're doing among the workers of Las Vegas. I'm guessing that few of them are into radical politics, and are mainly looking for a couple of dollars more an hour and some health insurance.

Doug