[lbo-talk] working class consciousness

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Aug 2 14:28:30 PDT 2006

The discussion with Jim Straub and others about workers, unions, intellectuals, class consciousness is interesting. I wrote about my own class consciousness in the summer issue of Monthly Review: Class: A Personal Story. I'd love comments on it.

Readers might also be interested in the interview I did with Ellen Dannin on why it is important for labor not to abandon the NLRB or the National Labor Relations Act. (as some in US labor have suggested): www.mrzine.org

One thing unions haven't done for a very long time (of course, most never have) is try to articulate a working class ideology, a world view (with specifics like national health care) aimed at helping working people understand the world around them.

Michael Yates