[lbo-talk] Dissentoids dissent

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:30:13 PDT 2006

Yes. Good example.Even I in my most addled moments could never find a good justification for Israel's intervention in Lebanon, '82-90.

On the Cockburn, I find google hits that place it from The Nation in Dec. 1979. But, scanning through the archives of The Nation via EBSCO don't find he had his Beat The Devil column till '84? An amazon.com review of his, "Imperial Crusades, " co-edited anthology w/Jeffrey St. Clair of Counterpunch pieces, places it in '79. Look at his Village Voice column then.

I do recall Jim O'Connor at UCSC quoting Cockburn to that effect in a 1982 class. Like Doug, he was for the Soviet intervention to prop up the PDPA. Scanning the archives of The Nation from 1979, I saw about 5 articles from Fred Halliday, shorter versions of his 2 New Left Review articles from then.