[lbo-talk] on death

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 17:41:16 PDT 2006

My cat is dying of pancreatic cancer. I understand that this is a rather insignificant event vis a vis the world problems, but I lived with that animal for some 14 years, since I moved to Baltimore, so seeing him literally wasting away is quite depressing.

In any case, he had a good life (I think), and at this point my only concern is that he dies peacefully - without fear or pain. I discontinued the treatment designed mainly to prolong his life, because he always resisted any treatment, I simply do not want to inflict any pain or fear on him in his last days. I suppose I will need to put him to sleep sooner rather than later, but so far he still seems to function without pain.

The reason I am writing about this is that this rather depressing event made it clear to me that this is exactly the way I want to live and die – without pain and fear. Nothing more, nothing less. I do not believe in any “afterlife” (whatever that is), gods, heavens, reincarnations (again, whatever that is) and all that religious mumbo-jumbo. There is no other life than the material life that we have here and now.

The main and only “meaning” or “purpose” of that life is to avoid pain and suffering – which otherwise is ubiquitous – and to avoid, as much as possible, inflicting pain and suffering on others.

I also understand that those of us who can avoid pain and suffering in their lives are in a very privileged position, because most living creatures, human and non-human alike, are not in a position to do so.

Wojtek