[lbo-talk] 1 in 3 Americans untethered from reality

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 3 11:48:15 PDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 2:35 PM, www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

> Hatred for the government is no bad thing, and although I do not
> believe that the Bush administration brought about 9/11, there are
> a huge number of unanswered questions and discrepancies in the
> official account which could lead people to believe this. I'm
> surprised you didn't notice when almost fifty per cent of New
> Yorker said they believed much the same thing.

I did.

> I've read a lot of the material on 9/11 Truth and so on, and once
> you've siphoned out the hysteria, exaggeration, misrepresentation
> of sources and selectivity, you still have a lot left that demands
> explanation more than it explains.

Once you've siphoned that out, there's not much left. Which is classic American political thinking, as is "hatred for the government." I'm reminded of that quote from Mills I posted here a couple of months ago (The Power Elite, p. 341):

"What element of the higher circles - what would-be element - has such immorality not touched? Perhaps all those cases that come briefly to public attention are but marginal - or, at any rate, those that were caught. But then, there is the feeling that the bigger you are, the less likely you are to be caught. There is the feeling that all the petty cases seem to signify something grander, that they go deeper and that their roots are now well organized in the higher and middle American ways of life. But among the mass distractions this feeling soon passes harmlessly away. For the American distrust of the high and mighty is a distrust without doctrine and without political focus; it is a distrust felt by the mass public as a series of more or less cynically expected disclosures."