[lbo-talk] on death

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:52:58 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> It is my vague impression that Stoicism is less about
> avoiding or minimizing pain than accepting and
> enduring it without complaint -- stoically, as one
> says. But I have never really studied the Stoics, just
> read Marcus Aurelius a long time ago. jks

I believe you are correct. It was the epicureans who put the emphasis on avoiding pain (as opposed to seeking pleasure, though the latter is what the label eventually got attached to). Nussbaum's book on the Hellenistic philosophers is quite good. (Though I don't agree with her disagreement with Epicurus and Lucretius on the dead. She claims it is not true that "the dead" have no interests.)

Carrol