[lbo-talk] Ezekiel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 4 08:44:23 PDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Why are secular leftists as literal-minded as fundamentalists are
> said to be?
>
> Ezekiel was talking about Samaria and Jerusalem (cast metaphorically
> as women), how they ought to conduct their foreign affairs.

Yeah, I know that. But, as any lit crit knows, you also have to take the content of metaphors seriously, and the fear of women and sex in that passage (and the admiration of those horse-cocked guys) is pretty striking. And that God - what a violent, vengeful motherfucker He is. You may have noticed that that stuff has considerable influence on American culture - and Israeli politics as well.

Doug