[lbo-talk] "Does that mean we want Hezbollah to win?"

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Aug 4 09:07:19 PDT 2006

Yoshie submitted a poem by Cecilia Lucas:

> I am coming to terms with something that I've tried to deny, something
> I've been taught to deny. And so I have written a love poem. For
> Hizbullah. Like love that inspires poems often is, this love is not
> all rosy and sweet. It is complicated, tortured, frustrated, somewhat
> inappropriate, certainly scandalous, sometimes hesitant. It is
> irrational and overly rational. But still, it is love . A dear friend
> told me today, "Nobody ever really learns something without feeling
> something." So, to Hizbullah, I offer this poem.
==================================== I have a less romantic, complicated, tortured, etc. reason for wanting Hezbollah to win.

Like the Iraqis and Palestinian resistance movements, I want it to forcefully impress the US and Americans - leaders and publics alike - that they cannot stabilize the region and to pursue their economic interests without coming to some accomodation with them which recognizes and secures their rights to national self-determination and development along lines which they decide.

The defeat of Hezbollah would have the opposite effect: it would dishearten the resistance forces favouring national sovereignity and social welfare, strengthen the ruling elites in the Arab countries, and embolden the Israelis and Americans to move on to Syria and Iran.