[lbo-talk] Has the Left Gone Mad?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Aug 4 14:37:31 PDT 2006

At around 4/8/06 1:29 pm, joanna wrote:
> Rachel Corrie was nonviolent. It didn't work.

Well, non-violent movements do involve people dying (however unfortunate), yes?

> Nonviolence does not always work. It didn't work against the Nazis; it
> will not work against the Eretz Israel regime which is confident of its
> right to wrest the land and water from the "cockroaches" who now inhabit
> it.

A question: I am told (and have read) that there is a pretty large Arab population living within Israel. Add to that the people living in the West Bank and Gaza. Is that not a significant enough number to bring the Israeli government and social apparatus to a halt? One of the important aspects of the Gandhian movement was to demonstrate that "100 million Indians cannot forever be ruled by 100,000 British" [inexact quote].

Chomsky makes a realistic point about the wide range of freedoms available in the USA. Whatever we write about Israel is it not correct to say that similar freedoms are available there? If so, such a non-cooperation / civil disobedience movement can be initiated. Would it not work?

[This space reserved for Carrol to point out that movements cannot be initiated]

--ravi

P.S: I hope no Orwellians are offended aesthetically by my bringing up the "half-naked fakir".

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/