[lbo-talk] Apocalypse near (Yideoth Aharonoth interviews NoamChomsky)

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Aug 5 15:29:55 PDT 2006

Michael Perelman wrote:

> I can think of another country, which has actually used nukes,
> which
> seems more dangerous than India. thugs and right-wing religious
> freaks
> have a great deal of influence there also.

Michael,

I wrote: Iran's has "inalienable right" to enrich uranium for_peaceful purposes_under the NPT. Note "under the NPT". It is a claim that _Iran_ has constantly made regarding _its_ rights under the NPT_ and it is _Chomsky_ saying "The non-aligned countries have forcefully endorsed Iran’s 'inalienable right' to enrich uranium. It is Iran and Chomsky who use the language of rights, not me. Iran can withdraw from the NPT and acquire nuclear weapons. (India, Pakistan and Israel are not signatories to the NPT, unlike Iran. Consequently, they have no rights and obligations under that Treaty.) _Chomsky_ has discussed _Iran's rights_ as a signatory to the NPT to which I have responded. Iran can have nuclear weapons if Iran is prepared to withdraw from the NPT as North Korea did.

Ulhas

Ulhas