[lbo-talk] Love and Crime (was Love)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 22:37:09 PDT 2006

On 8/4/06, Joel Schalit <managingeditor at tikkun.org> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote
> > Ah, Joel, but are you being radicalized in all the right ways?
> > Surely, we all ought to have modesty about our respective ways.
>
> Good point, Yoshie. Having lived through five middle eastern wars in
> my lifetime, this conflict changes little for me ideologically. I've
> always respected the right of any population in any state to defend
> themselves. And I've never rationalized the necessity of using
> violence against civilians to do so.

Surely one can wish one side of the conflict well while condemning war crimes committed by that side, as well as by the other side, in no uncertain terms. Today's 6 August, so it's a good time to remember that what one feels about the cause is not the same as what one feels about all the means used in pursuit of it.

> My position is that its immaterial whether its a US/Israeli victory or a
> Hezbollah/Iran victory.

Some Arabs and Muslims -- even in Lebanon -- certainly feel this way. Even today, about 15% of the Lebanese might share your position (as you saw the poll that I posted here <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060731/043316.html>).

But most don't, and the fewer will, the longer the war goes on.

Already, there was a million-strong demonstration in Baghdad after the Friday prayer: <http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_217005235.html>. The fervor might spread to the predominantly Sunni masses who live under the pro-Washington Arab regimes, too.

Perhaps, it's time to come to terms with the gap between the most commonly held opinion in the Israeli and Western Left, as well as the Palestinian citizens of Israel willing to work with the Israeli Left (cf. <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060731/043301.html>), on one hand and the most commonly held opinion in the Arab and Muslim worlds.

> The war simply should not have happened. Israel,
> Hezbollah, the US and Iran are all to blame for pushing it forward.

It has to be admitted that Tehran called for ceasefire first, before Washington did: "Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called for a cease-fire in Lebanon and criticized U.S. policy in the Middle East on Wednesday, saying Washington wants to 'recarve the map' of the region with Israel's help" (Associated Press, 26 July 2006 <http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/world/15127394.htm>).

It may be tempting to see the Lebanon war as a proxy war, for Washington is certainly into it, but I doubt that Tehran is very keen on the war. For the more Tel Aviv gets bogged down in this, and the more unpopular Tel Aviv becomes in the court of international opinion, the more likely Washington will increase pressures on Tehran, now for its support for Hizballah, in addition to the nuclear enrichment issue. Washington hasn't quite made an actionable issue of it yet beyond rhetoric, but that's only because the rest of the great powers are not on board for that one. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>