[lbo-talk] Photos from yesterday's antiwar demo in Tel Aviv

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Sun Aug 6 08:14:57 PDT 2006

Ha'aretz said something like 5,000 but I would put it at around 2,500.

There were many counter demonstrators yelling and throwing water ( at least I hope that's what it was) and bottles at the demonstrators, and when the demonstrators complained, the cops told them it was their fault because they should move away faster. During the demonstration the police used force to push protesters off the streets, and at the end, the counter demonstrators attacked the stage and ripped down posters and banners, while the police moved in and started beating on the anarchists mostly, who then threw paper bags with horse shit on them.

Stupidly, my wife and I came with our 1 year 7 month old daughter. The week before the demonstration went quite smoothly, but this time it was not a good scene to bring her to...

Anyway, here are some pics.

"Thousands of Jewish and Palestinian citizens of Israel, peace organizations and political parties took to the streets of Tel Aviv on 5 August to protest against Israel’s invasion of Lebanon. The demonstration was organized by a coalition of peace organizations, including: Gush Shalom, Yesh Gvul, Coalition of Women for Peace, Ta’ayush, ICAHD, AIC, Hadash, Balad, Maki, and Banki."

http://www.alternativenews.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=488&Itemid=1