[lbo-talk] The netroots delivers yet again...

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sun Aug 6 08:15:15 PDT 2006

At 10:44 AM 8/6/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On Aug 6, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Colin Brace wrote:
>
>>There are aspects of the "netroots" scene that trouble me as well, ie
>>the clubbiness and group-think.
>
>Political content often seems in short supply too. I understand the
>importance of seeing Lieberman go down (insert cheap oral sex joke
>here), but Lamont is basically a neoliberal yuppie, isn't he?
>
>Doug

Local involvement with people calling themselves progressives and interested in netroots suggests, to me, that the content is anemic.

These folks do not understand that neo-liberalism is a dirty word. They see nothing wrong with dismantling the welfare state. The need for unions? Pssshhhhaaaaw, old news. Let's move on.

I don't know why ravi is zeroed in on the technology, insisting on mocking the use of it to advance a cause, because to me that's just a tool and I'm not going to sit around and knock something that keeps me in bread and coffee.

What's most troublesome is that this approach is changing the face of what progressive seems to even mean in the first place. It sure has very little to do with what I thought it meant -- something beyond even Wellstone's vision, yanno? All these people on board, fantasizing that they're changing the Democratic party, when all they're really doing is helping it move along to the right. They may think otherwise, but when it's clear that, in the final analysis, they'll always vote democrat -- then they do nothing but provide the democratic party with a controllable mechanism for (pseudo)insurgency and recontainment.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org