[lbo-talk] flight attendants make labor history (fwd)

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Mon Aug 7 08:10:53 PDT 2006

From Peter Rachleff <rachleff at macalester.edu>

<forward>

Working Class Studies Comrades:

I wrote this open letter to the Northwest Airlines flight attendants (AFA-CWA) who have just rejected, for the second time, a deeply concessionary contract proposal while NWA is in bankruptcy. Management has immediately implemented its contract proposal, including $190 million in wage and benefit cuts per year and draconian work rule and job assignment changes, and is seeking this week an injunction to prohibit the flight attendants from striking or taking other job actions. Other NWA unions in the past year have accepted concessionary contracts, although all of them are conditional on all the unions accepting concessions, so the flight attendants' situation has important repercussions for all other NWA workers. The mechanics (AMFA) struck one year ago, were replaced by a mix of out-sourcing and scabs, and are still officially on strike. I have written my open letter to Jose Ibarra, who has long been a rank-and-file activist among the flight attendants and now maintains an email list of more than 5,000. Given that this month we mark not only the anniversary of the mechanics' strike but also the 25th anniversary of the PATCO strike, it seems important to me that we pay attention and support those workers who continue to resist the ever-worsening neoliberal corporate agenda.

Love and Solidarity,

Peter Rachleff

President, Working Class Studies Association

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org