[lbo-talk] Re: Identity Politics, Single Issues and Solidarity

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 7 10:38:08 PDT 2006

Dear List:

Ravi writes:

> The person I was talking with, surprisingly, found this opinion
unsurprising and offered his opinion that a significant segment of gay activism (and attitude) was "single-issue" driven.

Unfortunately, there is little solidarity with queers. Being sex positive often turns off other people/groups that leftists wish to ally with, and since queers are not uniformly leftist, it is easier to cut them off.

Also, since queers are found across the political spectrum, it is often difficult to forge agreement among ourselves on things other than queer issues. We just do not agree. Sexual issues in general are funky since they cross so many lines. A Republican will want the right to suck the cock of his choice without interference as much as a Democrat will. On all other things they may very well disagree.

> It is natural to be pro-gay-rights if you are gay.

Makes sense. If you are oppressed and persecuted for bing gay, wouldn't you want it to end?

I know a lot of apolitical types who became political because of gay rights. I also know a lot of recovering right wingers who became leftists because of gay rights.

> But such natural attitudes do not guarantee a progressive outlook.

No, but I would argue that a progressive outlook must include a belief in the right of sexual autonomy as being a core right. Some progressives like to push this issue to the side since it might be a problem for other people they are trying to be in solidarity with.

> Rather, a progressive attitude a priori determines the consistency of
such issue positions.

But I know so many progressives who are anti-BDSM; anti-ployamory; anti-queer sexuality, and they see no contradiction in this stance.

> We are told (as I understand it): everything is and should be explained
as [arising from] class issues.

In my case, it arises from my gonads.

> b) it is based on some universal notions of morality (that can be
deductively ascertained without resort to biology).

You would think so, but leftists are just as prudish as rightists.

> As someone interested in progressive change himself, I assume
he would also write, outside this context, "queers can never remain silent when people are persecuted and oppressed" ... period.

Yes, but I always think it helps to define trhe specific persecution one is addressing at the time. It always seems that one of the last persecutions people ever want to talk about are the sexual ones. It is the ick factor.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister