[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Aug 8 04:50:40 PDT 2006

At around 7/8/06 8:59 am, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Wall Street Journal - August 7, 2006
>
> No 'Alternative'
> By JEROME GROOPMAN
>
> Some 60 million Americans use supplements, megavitamins, herbs and other
> so-called "alternative" treatments. Their out-of-pocket costs approach
> $40 billion a year. Their therapies are promoted by a vast number of
> self-help books, Web sites and talk shows that feature thrilling
> testimonials of benefits for maladies that mainstream medicine cannot
> remedy. But we are now learning what happens when the testimonials are
> subjected to objective testing. In February, the results of a large
> clinical trial of the supplements glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate
> for osteoarthritis were released. These data came on the heels of a
> rigorous assessment of the herb saw palmetto for symptoms of an enlarged
> prostate gland. Both studies failed to show clinical efficacy. All this
> should mark a sea change in how the public views such treatments.

Why? The real comparison should be to the efficacy of "mainstream" medicine (henceforth referred to as professional-racket-medicine), especially as a ratio of public and individual dollars spent. Setting aside the silly anecdotes (man I would love to take the guy who introduced this style of writing -- Jane Ficklebottom of Wasatch knows the other side. Her family of five, including newborn Jason, have led the archetypal exurban life for four years.... yadda, yadda.... -- to a parking lot), there is (in the above article) a bit of attention (in the manner of Fox News "Fair and Balanced") to the excesses and accuracy of professional-racket-medicine medicine. Nor is the promiscuous nature of professional-racket-medicine made obvious, as remedies stolen from "alternative" medicine are quickly incorporated into professional-racket medicine, and even claimed as one of its successes.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/