[lbo-talk] Bush frames Israel/Lebanon conflict as struggleagainst "Islamo-fascism"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 08:13:56 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Angelus Novus wrote:
>
>>What is the right checklist to use when determing the
>>fascist nature of a movement? Again, I am not saying
>>"fascism" is the right word for Political Islam, just
>>wondering why it is a self-evident thing to think the
>>word "islamo-fascism" is absurd, whereas calling
>>Israel fascist is ok.
>
>Hey, I'm consistent - I wouldn't call Israel fascist either. A country, no
>matter how aggressive and nationalist, with a free press and regular
>elections isn't fascist.

Yes, it's a showcase of democracy -- just like the USA, whose voters freely reelected a war criminal as president. The great thing about living in a fascist country is that you, the citizen, bear no responsibilities for the crimes of the state. Here in America the Culpable, we're all accessories to mass murder in the eyes of the world. Not a fun place to live.

Carl