[lbo-talk] Abkhaz official says Georgia's actions "leading to war"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 08:58:04 PDT 2006

Told you so yesterday. ;)

Abkhaz official says Georgia's actions "leading to war" Source: Imedi TV, Tbilisi, in Georgian 0900 gmt 8 Aug 06

[Presenter] Sukhumi [separatist Abkhazia] is preparing for war, the self-declared republic's foreign minister has said. Sergey Shamba said that Abkhazia would take appropriate measures if Georgia commits further acts of provocation in the Kodori Gorge [the only part of Abkhazia under Georgian government control]. Today is the second day of Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Grigoriy Karasin's visit to the self-declared republic. He has already met the de facto president [Sergey Bagapsh] and defence minister [Sultan Sosnaliyev]. Shamba said that Abkhazia has received a guarantee from Russia.

[Shamba] We are preparing for war because we constantly feel under threat. We see that every step the Georgian leadership takes is leading towards war, starting with the disproportionate amount of military expenditure in its budget. The proportion of military expenditure in Georgia's budget itself demonstrates that it is preparing for war. Of course, no-one can remain calm about this, not only Abkhazia, but also all of its neighbours.

We will resolve all issues through political and diplomatic means until all such opportunities are exhausted. But if there is no other option, if Georgia continues to orchestrate acts of provocation against us such as the relocation there [the Kodori Gorge] of so-called autonomous structures [the Tbilisi-backed Abkhaz government-in-exile], then we will be ready to do anything in order to prevent any kind of provocation. We have spoken not only with Karasin, but also with the president of Russia [Vladimir Putin], with the defence minister [Sergey Ivanov] and minister of foreign affairs [Sergey Lavrov]. Of course we have spoken, why not? Any country must defend its own citizens.

[Paata Davitaia, expert] Cossacks have been brought in. About 10 Grad rocket systems have been set up near the village of (?Machara). Armed formations have set up reinforced posts in village of Georgiyevskoye, near Lata [on the border between the Abkhaz-controlled lower Kodori Gorge and the Georgian-controlled upper Kodori Gorge]. This shows that the Abkhaz side is preparing to launch an assault. Combat operations will presumably begin in early or mid October. They will not allow two governments to exist in Abkhazia.