[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Tue Aug 8 09:23:03 PDT 2006

At 12:09 PM 8/8/2006, Carrol Cox wrote:
>I was no fonder of the so-called "hippie culture" than anyone on this
>list, but the use of "hippie" in this thread is probably more misleading
>than is the sloppy use of "post-modern" by many writers. The sort of
>medicine being (for the most part rightly) sneered at is no more
>connected with hippies than it is with Iowa farmers or detroit auto
>workers.

ravi actually used the term and it was used to sneer at those of who he (wrongly) believes sneer at hippie medicine on this list and elsewhere.

you see? it wasn't originally used to actually sneer at hippies, but to sneer at the straw opponent of homeopathic medicine.

The response, on my part, was to mock ravi's movking of me, Doug, and others because he was engaged in logical fallacy -- arguing with a straw opponent that didn't even exist in the article to which he replied.

I suppose you could say it is a way out of the double bind that such logical fallacies try to place their interlocuters in the first place. It's a sort of "isn't it nice" response that you've recommended in the past.

"yes, isn't it nice. I'm opposed to hippie medicine. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let me find an argument. Oh! there isn't one there!"

:)

live the irony, activate the consumers, build the brand!

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org