[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Tue Aug 8 09:55:37 PDT 2006

right. that would be why you also mock the use of anecdotes while ignoring his quote about the uselessness of anecdotes. if you had a point, I'm interested. but the only point you seem to want to make is to set fire to straw. woo! look at the heat.

it's the same thing that's happening with your claim that yours is a moral position against war, while the woman in Moore's film isn't taking a moral position! You've defined her position as not moral from the get go -- by ingoring the fact that what you've complained about is an essentially contested issue in the discipline of ethics itself -- no matter what Richard Singer has t say about it!

""While we considered her change of heart (or activism) a natural outcome of a contingent event (the loss of a son), and therefore not a moral stance, others found this personal reaction to be the very thing that placed her on high moral ground (I am not here addressing the entirely different point, which I agree with, that her personal loss lends her the gravitas and immunity to state what is true/right).""

This completely ignores about 30 years of feminist critique about such claims -- as well as an entire body of thought within ethics itself. You have a particular definition of ethics and refuse to concede ground to the notion that others have opposing definitions. Instead of arguing as to why they are wrong n their views, you simply flatly assert it and deny any dignity to others who don't see it your way.

(such critiques can be found, for instance, in the work of Carol Gilligan. There's more. There's always more, but that's a start. I'm not saying, also, that I agree with Gilligan per se.)