[lbo-talk] joe2006.com has crashed

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Aug 8 10:35:31 PDT 2006

>From NY Times site:

The Empire Zone home »

August 8

9:13 am Joe2006.com Has Crashed, Again Categories: General, Connecticut Senate Race, Joseph Lieberman, Ned Lamont Senator Lieberman's campaign web site, which crashed for several hours yesterday before being restored last night, is offline again.

Lieberman aides say they're all paid up to their Internet service provider, and are sticking to their story that the site was felled by enemy bloggers.

Marion Steinfels, a Lieberman spokeswoman, sent this e-mail late last night, before the latest online collapse.

"The site has been hacked three times over the last two months and the company that hosts our site told us that it was attacked again," she wrote. "Our web site and email was down most of the day [Monday] as a result. It's ridiculous and dirty politics."

Bloggers, meanwhile, continue to allege that the site crashed because Joe didn't pay his Internet bills on time. If anyone has a link to a screen grab (better than this partial one) that shows the Lieberman site being suspended because of a past-due account, please zap it to zone at nytimes.com.

As a smart web-friend of mine notes, the fact that Joe's site was working in the wee hours this morning suggests that it's either a technical problem or a denial of service attack. Some web host services cannot withstand all the hits that a national campaign is bound to get from supporters and from those making mischief.

Such web sites are useful, arguably important tools with which to communicate with supporters, coordinate volunteers, and help voters find the addresses of their polling stations.

It's worth noting that Ned Lamont, the candidate who is arguably receiving more web traffic, given his blogger-phenom status, has a site that is working just fine.

- Patrick Healy

Link to ThisComments (22) Comments »

1.. Most web hosting contracts have a limit on how much traffic a site is allowed (based on how much is paid) during a given period.

So one possibility is that the Lieberman site exceeded this limit, while Lamont's more web-savvy backers may have known to pay for a much higher amount of bandwidth.

Comment by Hudson - August 8, 2006 @ 11:15 am

2.. Considering the fiscal irresposibility of Lieberman and his ilk, exemplified by running up our national debt for a disaterous, unwinnable war, I suspect that Joe simply didn't pay his bills.

Comment by Redglare - August 8, 2006 @ 11:39 am

3.. Sounds like Howard Dean at work.

Howard this is America even stupid people

can say what they think. So speak!!!!!!!!

Patricia

Comment by patricia spencer - August 8, 2006 @ 11:49 am

4.. Joe's people look like Republicans, talk like Republicans, lie like Republicans - heck, they even whine like Republicans and dodge the draft like Republicans. Perhaps they should stop hating America so much and get a news Web hosting company, huh?

Comment by Tabby Cahn - August 8, 2006 @ 11:51 am

5.. Hey, I hear the Chinese don't mind loaning money for totally stupid, waste-of-time ventures like our war in Iraq. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to cough up some more money for Joe's website.

Comment by NotHereForTheFood - August 8, 2006 @ 11:59 am

6.. Why would anyone visit Lieberman's web site? I wouldn't want that cookie on my machine.

Comment by Ralph Ottowa - August 8, 2006 @ 11:59 am

7.. bottom line: moveon and ned lamont= super web savvy netroots people with more webmasters per capita than any other organization in politics. joe and CT labor, firemen, etc= not web forward types. is there any doubt this is basic moveon subterfuge, compounded with a BS story about not paying a $25 monthly bill?

Comment by moveon mafia to blame - August 8, 2006 @ 12:12 pm

8.. Lieberman can't keep his site up so he resorts to implying that Lamont is a digital terrorist? If Joe can't do something simple like maintain a reliably functional web site throughout a campaign, what exactly can he do for Connecticut? For that matter, what can he do for the rest of us as a senator? Drop the bum!

Comment by Mark Stein - August 8, 2006 @ 12:13 pm

9.. "moveon mafia". nice. and true.

Comment by bk - August 8, 2006 @ 12:14 pm

10.. Will there be any actual reporting on this? For example, contacting the hosting provider to find out what really went on?

It seems that there has just been a lot of spin and speculation by people who haven't seen anything more than the error message on the website.

Comment by Pete Hopkins - August 8, 2006 @ 12:16 pm

11.. Stop the nonsense. We all know Joe has served the state of Connecticut, and this country admirably. He is the best thing to have happened to the Democratic party. He was a few votes short of becoming our Vice President! Ask any of the senators in Washington, people really "in the know" in DC politics, and they will tell you that Lieberman is the best of the best. Go Joe Go!

Comment by Marc Teahen - August 8, 2006 @ 12:16 pm

12.. No doubt there have been DOS attacks by Lieberman-hating idiots, but there are ways to defend against them. Otherwise political sites would be constantly crashing. It's disingenuous for Marion Steinfels to pretend like they're helpless against hackers.

Maybe Joe's people figure if he loses they can use this against Ned in the general election. Who, exactly, is playing dirty here?

Comment by TenThousandThings - August 8, 2006 @ 12:17 pm

13.. moveon mafia strikes again. Think about it. Moveon and ned lamont = "netroots nation", with more web hackers per capita than any other political organization. Joe and CT labor, firemen etc = web normals. is there any doubt that this ISNT par for the course moveon subterfuge, cast with a BS story about not paying a $25 bill? C'mon folks.

Comment by bk - August 8, 2006 @ 12:27 pm

14.. Could one of the NYTimes "reporter"-types please call the @#$% web-hosting company and find out whether its a hack or if Lieberman really didn't pay his bill?!?

Comment by BKLYN - August 8, 2006 @ 12:27 pm

15.. I don't see the point of the conversation. People will vote based on what we want for our country and its states. These and similar distrations only divert attention from the fact that most Americans don't have proper health care, that the wars are not working, that people are unemployed or underemployed. Bottom line, it's time for a change in a positive direction after all these years.

Comment by Adam - August 8, 2006 @ 12:29 pm

16.. It's sad to see that the left is just as willing as the right to play dirty to win. Goodbye moral high ground!

Comment by wyatt - August 8, 2006 @ 12:31 pm

17.. It is sad that this election is not about the issues. In fact, nobody knows where Lamont stands on anything besides the War in Iraq. Even this message board is simply a bashing post, nothing substantial is being discussed.

Comment by DH - August 8, 2006 @ 12:39 pm

18.. Maybe the heavy weight of Joe's endless lies, shameful betrayals, and rank hypocrisy was just too much for the site to bear.

Comment by edzontar - August 8, 2006 @ 12:39 pm

19.. Look for the LieberYouth to use the crash of their site as a justification for an independent run. They probably engineered it themselves, figuring the resulting publicity would be more useful than the site itself.

Comment by Bouldin - August 8, 2006 @ 12:55 pm

20.. Perhaps it's time we face the real issue here and dump Connecticut out of the union. "Conservative Democrats" exist merely to appease the rightwing military industrial union voters of a morally bankrupt state.

Comment by redstatebaiter - August 8, 2006 @ 1:04 pm

21.. Lieberman implies that only Lamont supporters would hack his site? Funny that he has yet to see how the race has generated interest beyond Connecticut.

Comment by Ralph Ottowa - August 8, 2006 @ 1:06 pm

22.. Jeb McGruder. James McCord. Chuck Colson.

For some stange reason I'm reminded of these names from the distant past.

Comment by Dennis - August 8, 2006 @ 1:14 pm

Leave a Comment

Name (required)

E-Mail (required, will not be published)

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. They may be edited for length and clarity. For more information, see our Member Agreement.

a.. World

b.. U.S.

c.. N.Y. / Region

d.. Business

e.. Technology

f.. Science

g.. Health

h.. Sports

i.. Opinion

j.. Arts

k.. Style

l.. Travel

m.. Jobs

n.. Real Estate

o.. Autos

p.. Back to Top Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

a.. Privacy Policy

b.. Search

c.. Corrections

d.. XML